30 May 2009
Dr. Maria Assunta C. Cuyegkeng
Vice President, Loyola Schools
Ateneo de Manila University
Dear Dr. Cuyegkeng,
Greetings of Peace!
This past week, several memorandums have been issued regarding the measures of the Loyola Schools in addressing the Influenza A (H1N1) outbreak. Widely circulated are of the following subjects: from the office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs is the procedural adjustment in terms of ID application, validation, and release; from your office are the notice for self-quarantine and the more prominent memo on the moratorium on student activities with an attendance of five hundred or more. As such, the Sanggunian ng mga Mag-Aaral wishes to raise the following statements and queries:
1) The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral understands the urgency of the situation, thus the need for an immediate response that prioritizes the welfare of the students. However, the Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral wishes to inquire as to why student representatives from the Sanggunian were not consulted on this regard prior to the issuance of the memorandums at hand.
2) The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral seeks the basis of the moratorium on
3) The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral would also like to inquire if the June Sesquicentennial Kick-Off will still push through in light of our moratorium on major activities on campus.
4) The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral, in seeking the welfare of the general studentry, wishes to ask if there will be extra precautionary measures taken inside the campus i.e. wearing of clinical masks, provision of additional soap and hand sanitizers, etc.
5) The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-Aaral seeks immediate consultation with your office regarding the postponed major student activities such the OrSem, school nights, and the Recruitment Week of the Council of Organizations for the purpose of concrete measures of adjustments, particularly the setting of new dates and further precautionary measures.
The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral wishes to explore in further detail major measures undertaken by the administration that will affect the student body through proper discussion.
The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral, representing the primary stakeholders of this university, is one with the administration in prioritizing the safety and welfare of the students. The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral is thankful for the swift action undertaken by your office for the wellbeing of the students. We hope that the aforementioned queries, seeking clarification, will lead to a strengthened communal effort in taking steps to address this pressing matter. Furthermore, we also hope to strengthen our systems of communication to ensure an efficient response to similar concerns that may occur in the future.
The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral hopes for an immediate response. Thank you and we look forward to your consideration.
Gregorio Ramon A. Tingson
Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng
Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de Manila